Thursday, July 11, 2013

Logan at two and a half


At two and a half, Logan is a new big brother.  We thought he'd have a hard time with this transition, but we've been pleasantly surprised by how well he's adapted, at least so far.  He is very concerned when she cries, alerts me when she needs milk, tries to give her her pacifier, and gets very excited when she opens her eyes.  He calls her "baby sister" or "Emily".

Logan loves Sporticus (the superhero from Lazytown).  Everywhere he goes starts with a "Muscle! Muscle! Up! Clap! Run in place! Superhero pose!" Followed by swinging his arms back, lifting up his knee, " a few "humph, humph" sound affects and racing off to his destination.  Logan now calls apples "sports candy" and eats several per day (to supplement his diet of fruit snacks and cheddar bunnies).  I guess there are worse things you could learn from TV.

Logan also likes looking for pirates through stick telescopes, spinning in his swing to get dizzy, hiking down to North Turkey Creek to throw sticks in the water, playing baseball and frisbee, and coloring.  His favorite toys are his trains and lego people. 

The vocabulary of a two year old is funny.  He often doesn't speak in correct tenses but he includes phrases like "cinders and ashes!" (train talk for "oh no!") and "shiver me timbers" in his play.   He makes up songs like:
Yo-ho, yo-ho, a pirate's life for Logan
Yo-ho, yo-ho, we are going shopping.
 
He's always surprising me with the things he knows that I did not teach him.  He started telling me about the Milky Way and shooting stars the other day. I think he learned it from Caillou (along with how to be super whiny).  He stopped me mid-sentence as I read to him the title and author of a book the other night.  "10 Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle".  "No mommy, Eric Carle is the caterpillar book."  He was right... Eric Carle also writes the Hungry Caterpillar... I had no idea he was paying attention to the author's name.

When I come home, he runs to me yelling "Mommy!!!!!!!!!" and gives me a big hug.  He tells me I'm his best friend. He wants nothing more than to play with Mommy and Daddy. Kisses fix everything.  Someday he won't do this so as exhausting as this age is, I try to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment