Monday, August 18, 2014

Logan's First Day of School



Logan started school!  He's going to Free Horizon Montessori in Golden.  I thought it would be a hard transition, since he's been going to Tammy's since birth.  We started talking about it many weeks in advance, went to the school twice to meet the teachers and attend the school picnic, and went over again and again just what we would do the first day.  Tammy spent weeks role playing with him-- how you make a friend, what you do if someone doesn't want to play with you, etc.  I was fully prepared for him to cry and hug my leg and have him torn away from me screaming.  I'd been warned by a friend that this might last for weeks.  Instead, he went right in, struck up a conversation with the teacher, and forgot to even say good bye to me. When I pick him up in the afternoons, he's usually playing trains or legos and does not want to leave.

His teachers are Ms. Kristin, Ms. Serra, and Ms. Amber.  The after school teachers are Mr. Shawn and Ms. Miranda. They all seem very nice-- I think you have to be, to be a pre-K teacher. The friends he talks about are Caleb and Gavin.  His favorite thing is the globe that has smooth blue water and sandpaper texture continents, and the knob cylinders.  Those are things I remember from my Montessori days.  He comes home with paintings and macaroni necklaces and songs like Twinkle Twinkle Traffic Light. We get a one sentence report each week, which is a big change from daycare where we had conversations at drop off and pick up and texts with updates all day long.  They talk a lot about building independence, so I guess this is all part of that. I try to pry what I can from Logan... which is not much, and in any case a 3 year old's version of events. He has not yet played with the peninsula because he has to have a lesson from the teacher first. [The peninsula is the best of a series of plastic geographic formations, and you pour water in them, and the peninsula is left raised surrounded by water.] He had a plum for snack. Andrew smashed Caleb's drawing. Somebody pushed someone else on the playground. I'm looking forward to parent's night when I get to have Logan show me around his classroom... and I'm hoping we get to play with the peninsula!


No comments:

Post a Comment