Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sleep

Sleep is a rare commodity around here these days.  Logan says he is scared of his room, and refuses to sleep in there.  This started after our trip to Ouray, when he got to share a room with Kenny.  Since then he hasn't wanted to sleep alone.  He wants to sleep in our bed, but Mark says no, so we've compromised on Amelie's room.  Logan sleeps in the guest bed in there. I like to think he's protecting his little sister. He's very helpful in an unhelpful sort of way-- if she starts crying, he yells at the top of his lungs to alert us to this fact, making sure to wake her up completely in the process. 

He often wants one of us to lay down with him-- for "just 5 minutes"-- when he's going to sleep.  This is some of our best time together.  He snuggles up so his face is about an inch away, and we talk about when we grow up. When he grows up, he will be Mommy, and I will be Logan.  I will have blue eyes (like Logan).  He will have a mole (like me).  He does not like my mole, and has various suggestions for what we can do about it.  Last night he suggested we should try vacuuming it up. We agreed to try in the morning.

Amelie sleeps for 3 hour stretches, but is often hard to get back down in her crib.  Sometimes around 3 or 4am I end up just getting into bed with Logan and Amelie both.  At that point, with Amelie across my chest and Logan's giant head nuzzled against my neck, I just lie there waiting for morning.  Exhausting as it is, I feel very lucky during those pre-dawn hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment